Happiness is the state that we all strive for, but when you look around it’s apparent how many miss their target. You hear some say that they, “will be happy when…” immediately putting their own happiness on some kind of a schedule. Don’t do this!! We all deserve happiness RIGHT NOW. The good news is that it’s only an emotional state, and therefore you can choose to be happy when ever you want. But, if your laughing cynically at that last statement, then maybe you need some pointers to encourage you to feel happiness once again.
Here are 10 ways that you can bring happiness back in to your life, you know that type of happiness that you felt as a kid, so here goes…
- Enjoy the Moment – Although this one sounds a little cheesy, it really is the main thing to life. It’s the reason why chaps sit on the tops of mountains for years. If you can connect to the moment then all of the other baggage that you are carrying disappears. If you can stay in the moment for longer periods then it can have dramatic effects to your well-being.
- Be Grateful – Look around yourself, and appreciate all of the things that you have. Now, I know that happiness is relative etc etc etc, but seriously do you really have all that much to complain about. Be thankful for all of the people that love you, and all of the people that you love. Appreciate what you can do in life, and embrace the gift.
- Don’t be Perfect – Perfectionists are never happy, so if you consider yourself to be one, then stop. There is no such thing as perfect, so instead aim for ‘Really Good’ or ‘The Best You Can Do’ and cheer up a bit.
- Do Something You Love – When you’re involved in a hobby or an activity that you really love then time seems to stand still. Be it music, or sport, or jigsaws, or train spotting, whatever it is, do it. You will achieve the enlightened state of ‘flow’ and that’s where you want to be.
- Socialise – We weren’t made to be kept in boxes. Humans are a social species that feel a sense of belonging when in tribes. You may be confident, or you may be shy, but everyone needs to have interaction with other tribe members. Get out there and share something with someone else. (for the sake of Health and Safety I must include a warning message here: please do not share needles or bodily fluids, unless you want to of course, it’s none of my business.)
- Laugh – Hopefully you are right now. Scientifically it increases blood flow to the heart, and unscientifically it is impossible to still feel sad if you’re laughing. When you’re happy, a little laugh usually comes out, and this is natures way of telling you that you must be happy. Beautiful.
- Exercise A Bit – I don’t mean for you to start competing in triathlons and marathons, but you should do something. It’s all about releasing pheromones, and it’s good for you. A healthy body is a healthy mind. Also, you often have indirect side effects from exercise, like socialising in a team and laughing and being absorbed.
- Smile – Similar to the ground-breaking step of laughter, but smiling is simply an external advertisement that you are happy. If you smile the world will smile with you; you will immediately put others at ease; others will be attracted to you; and all of this will make you feel happier. You can also start by faking it because you will still experience a feeling of happiness.
- Treat Yourself – If you’re feeling blue (the emotion, not the band) then what’s the harm in doing something for yourself that you enjoy. Be sure that it’s not something that will negatively affect someone else because that will just come back round and bite you. But all of this self-sacrifice, just for the sake of it, is very Victorian, beginning of last century-type stuff.
- Kindness – What the world needs now is love, sweet love. An ancient Chinese proverb declares that ‘he who gives flowers keeps the scent upon him’. When you display kindness to others then you feel a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. It’s the knowledge that you’ve helped someone out and done the right thing. Do more of that.
So, there you have it. Ten wonderful and easy steps to happiness. There’s a whole lot more and I’d like to hear from you if you have any other great suggestions.
Please leave a comment if you agree with my ten, or if you have any others.
Also, if you like this post then share it around, using the normal buttons, with a smile on your face.